Acupuncture is a complete medical practice that is focused on correcting any imbalances in the body. It began 2,500 years ago in China to prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and to improve overall health. While there is no proof yet that acupuncture modifies the flow of energy throughout the body, there is proof that it influences the activity of adenosine, which is an amino acid that becomes active under the skin to relieve pain after an injury. This may explain why pain relief is often felt after a session.
During a consultation with our specialist at Persona Med Spa, you may learn if acupuncture can benefit you. Your overall health will be assessed, and since acupuncture is part of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), you may be asked questions that do not seem to relate directly to your condition.
- Emotional disorders, such as depression and anxiety
- Digestive disorders, such as nausea and vomiting
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Rehabilitation after a stroke
- Respiratory conditions, such as asthma and sinusitis
- Gynecologic disorders and infertility
- Reducing fatigue and addictions
Our trained practitioner will place fine needles in specific locations. Many people do not feel a thing when the needles are placed, but some feel a stinging sensation. The needles are gently manipulated and sometimes electricity and heat is applied to the needles. The depth of the needles depends on the kind of treatment and the practitioner.
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), acupuncture is safe if it is performed by a trained practitioner who uses sterile needles. The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) considers the needles as medical devices and requires them to be sterile and nontoxic. You may benefit from this treatment at our office if you suffer from:
- Headaches and migraines – The Center for Complementary Medicine at the University of Munich concluded that this treatment might be a valuable non-pharmacological tool to treat chronic tension-type headaches after examining the results of 2,137 acupuncture patients.
- Chronic knee, back, neck and arthritis pain – The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics determined that acupuncture may be effective to relieve chronic pain after clinical trials of more than 17,000 patients.
- Chemotherapy and cancer recovery – The National Cancer Institute research shows that this treatment may boost immunity and speed recovery after treatment for cancer.
- Parkinson’s disease – A study done by the Department of Neurology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine concluded that 16 sessions of acupuncture improve some symptoms such as tremor, pain, depression, slowness, sleep and anxiety with no adverse effects.
There may be a good chance that acupuncture can benefit you. You can learn more during a consultation at Persona Med Spa in Houston.