Causes and Symptoms
of Facial Aging
As we age, our skin undergoes several changes that can result in an aging face. These changes can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, sun exposure, smoking, and environmental pollutants. Some of the most common symptoms of facial aging include:
- Wrinkles: Fine lines and wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process, but they can also be caused by sun damage, smoking, and other environmental factors.
- Loss of volume: As we age, our skin loses collagen and elastin, which can result in a loss of volume causing flattened facial features and/or a hollowed appearance.
- Sagging skin: Gravity, sun damage, and other factors can cause our skin to sag and droop, especially around the cheeks, chin, and jowls.
- Dull skin: As we age, our skin's natural exfoliation process slows down, which can result in a dull, lackluster appearance.
- Age spots: Sun damage can cause dark spots and patches on the skin, also known as age spots.
- Eye hollows: As we age, the fat pads under our eyes can shrink or move, resulting in a hollow or sunken appearance.
In addition to softening existing wrinkles, wrinkle relaxers can also be used preventively, i.e., to stop wrinkles in their tracks. The terms "preventative Botox" or "baby Botox" are often used to describe this type of treatment.
At Persona Med Spa
We offer several treatments that can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, including Botox, dermal fillers, and microneedling. Botox works by temporarily relaxing the muscles that cause wrinkles, while dermal fillers can help restore lost volume and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. Microneedling stimulates collagen production, which can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles over time.
Loss of Volume Treatments
To address loss of volume and a hollow appearance, we offer dermal fillers such as Juvéderm, Restylane, and Radiesse. These fillers can help restore volume to the cheeks, chin, and other areas of the face, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
For sagging skin, we offer several treatments, including Ultherapy, Morpheus8, microneedling and radiofrequency, Exilis RF for superficial layer tightening, and PDO threads. Ultherapy uses ultrasound technology to stimulate collagen production, and is FDA-cleared to lift skin. Morpheus8 uses microneedling with heat to tighten and smooth the skin. PDO Threads can be placed strategically in the face to lift jowls and smooth nasolabial folds as well as define a sagging jawline.
Dull Skin and Age Spot Treatments
To address dull skin and age spots, we offer chemical peels and laser treatments. Chemical peels exfoliate the top layer of the skin, revealing a brighter, more youthful complexion. Laser treatments can target age spots and other areas of hyperpigmentation, leaving the skin looking clearer and more even.
Eye Hollow Treatments
To address eye hollows, we offer dermal fillers such as Restylane and Juvéderm. These fillers can help restore lost volume and reduce the appearance of under-eye bags and hollows. For under-eye skin crepiness, we also offer platelet rich fibrin (PRF) treatments to thicken the skin naturally and PDO smooth threads to support the tissue and stimulate collagen.